Events: Diary dates for community events adapting the West.
Events, activities and information sessions in support of climate change adaptation take place throughout the Western Region council areas of Charles Sturt, West Torrens and Port Adelaide-Enfield and Greater Adelaide. These events can inform, put you in touch with like-minded ‘Westies’, and occasionally celebrate the achievements of your community, as we tackle climate-change issues.
Let's Talk About ... Future Mobility for Liveable Cities - presented by the Adelaide Sustainable Building Network.
Discussion about the challenges of technological transformation in transport and consider how to create a liveable and sustainable future. Wednesday, 13 November 2019 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm. The Jade, 142-160 Flinders Street Adelaide. Tickets from $18. Event details HERE
Environment Institute of Australia and New Zealand event. Wednesday 6 November - 8:30am to 4:30pm, Flinders University (Victoria Square Campus), $150 for non-members
- “Is your health and/or wealth at risk? Who is at most risk of heat stress? Is your future income at risk, whether it sits in a superannuation fund or in a farm or city-based business? What sectors of the economy are most at risk? What does science tell us about these various risks? What can we do about these risks, particularly at a practical level?
- Where in Australia and New Zealand are the people and industries likely to be adversely affected as the climate changes? What does the Actuaries Index show? How is the insurance industry going to react if we neglect scientific advice on where we build and how we build? Where does the law stand on property rights and the environment? On water rights? On climate change in general?
- What can be done here in Australia and New Zealand to mitigate and/or adapt to climate change?
Environmental Health Australia National Conference 6th - 8th November 2019 National Wine Centre, $590 day rate for non-members.
Thursday morning has a disaster resilience focus, with a keynote from Dr Robert Glasser, Australian Strategic Policy Institute on the threat climate change poses to Australia’s national security. Event details HERE
Beat the heat: Hot in the city workshops - by the City of Adelaide with University of Adelaide and State Emergency Services -Thursday 7th November 2019 - FREE event.
Some great workshops being run by The City of Adelaide - Find out 'what's hot and what's not' and prepare your own plan to be ready for the summer heat. Find all the details HERE
Research Tuesdays: CLIMATE CHANGED - The Braggs Building - The University of Adelaide Victoria Drive Tuesday, November 12, 2019 5:30 PM – 7:00 PM
Event details HERE
It’s arguably the most critical issue of our time. But how aware are we of climate change’s likely tangible impacts? In this special year-end Research Tuesdays forum, four leading University of Adelaide researchers will discuss:
- what past climate change events can tell us about how Earth’s systems will react in future
- how climate change will exacerbate existing threats to species and ecosystems, including land clearance and introduced pests
- the major barriers to biodiversity conservation, and policy tools that can overcome them
- how complexity in our critical systems, such as food, energy, water and transport, is driving costly political and commercial uncertainty
- why we must all integrate understanding of climate change impacts into our every thought and action—and how we can do it.
At times confronting, frequently challenging, but ultimately inspiring, this is an opportunity not to be missed.
Achieving a Greener Adelaide - Parks and Leisure Australia - 9:00 am - 4:30 pm, U City Function Centre, 43 Franklin Street, $140 for non-members
Do you want to find out more about the 'Green Adelaide' initiative and how quality green public spaces can be achieved, as well as potential government and community projects, grant funding, and how your council or organisation can benefit? Then make sure you don't miss this must attend event on how a Green Adelaide can be achieved. Event details HERE
The University of Adelaide Heat & Habitat in Cities Symposium - H2CS - Heat and Habitat in Cities Symposium National Wine Centre Exhibition Hall Cnr Hackney Road and Botanic Road 9 - 10 December, 2019
H2CS - Heat and Habitat in Cities Symposium, hosted by the School of Architecture and Built Environment at the University of Adelaide, will bring international and national experts, policy makers, planners, designers and researchers to exchange knowledge, experience and expertise and to discuss and debate concrete ideas for planning, designing, developing and improving our cities. The Symposium will be opened by The Honourable David Speirs MP, Minister for Environment and Water. Event details HERE
The Australian Walking and Cycling Conference.
In conjunction with AdaptWest, the 2019 Australian Walking & Cycling Conference was held at the Port Adelaide Town Hall on 24 & 25 October 2019.
The theme of the conference was Active Transport in a Changing Climate.
Check out the photos at the conference website!
Changing for Climate Change